When home recording audio, you need a good microphone to capture sound quality that can rival the best professional studio microphones. There are many good mics for recording home music and movies on your PC, but not all of them are created equal.
Home recording is the only way to go if you want to learn new songs by your favorite artists, produce original music, and record yourself playing guitar or singing. In order to make your recordings sound the best possible, you need to invest in quality recording equipment.
When recording music at home, your primary goal is to avoid mics flaws, but when you have the budget to buy a really great microphone, you should often not think of it as “just” a microphone. A lot of mic choices these days are all over the board in terms of price and features, so finding five great choices is no easy task.
Here are 5 great microphones that are equally capable of recording and playing back, without the hassle of a computer:
- Zoom H4N – Even if you’ve never really dabbled in home-recording, you’ve probably heard of the popular but fairly inexpensive Zoom H4N. Once you realize that the Zoom H4N is the product of one company and one company only, you may find yourself thinking, “Why would they only sell one mic?” The reason is that, historically, mic companies have lacked the imagination or the funding to make more than one model of a particular type.
- Audio-Technica AT2020 USB – While home recording can seem intimidating, you don’t have to be a professional to start recording yourself. You can easily plug in a microphone like the Audio-Technica ATH-M50, and you will be on your way to a new hobby. Get the most out of your new microphone by using the right settings—practice identifying common sounds in your room. Start recording short clips of sound in different rooms to train your ear.
- Sennheiser ME66 – Sennheiser is a well-known maker of high-end microphones and headphones. Sennheiser offers a variety of microphones and headphones for home recording, studio recording, podcasting, and live sound applications. The Sennheiser ME66 is one of the most popular microphones in the world. It’s a dynamic condenser that excels when capturing vocals or guitar. It’s also a pro tool that can be used to record a wide range of instruments, and it’s a great addition to any home studio.
- Blue Yeti – Blue released their latest Blue Yeti microphone line-up, and for many people, they are pretty impressive! The Yeti Stereo USB is their most compact and affordable model, and it comes with all the performance and features of their flagship models. It’s a great choice for users who want the sound of a larger studio model but don’t have space for it.
- Focusrite Scarlett Solo – One of the most interesting new features in the latest Scarlett Solo is its ability to record in 24-bit/48kHz, which means you can record higher quality audio than before. This is great for sound engineers who require the best possible sound quality for mixing tracks, but it also means you get to use that higher quality recording on your home recordings. The Focusrite Scarlett Solo is a USB-powered, 4-channel, studio-quality audio interface that can be used to record audio directly into your Mac or Windows PC. It also comes with free download software for Mac and Windows, making it easy to monitor and mix your audio.
There are many things that can be done with a microphone, but they often have in common that they are all great mics and make for a great recording. Choosing the right one or investing in a decent mic can turn anyone’s home studio into a professional recording studio. Still, there’s a lot to take into account before making a purchase.
With the right microphone, you no longer have to settle for average sound. There are plenty of amazing microphones out there, but they’re not all created equal. You may want to use a USB mic instead of a line-level mic like an XLR connector, or you may need a specific microphone like a condenser or an omnidirectional mic. Regardless of which one you choose, you’ll need to pick a mic with the right features and a good sound quality.